Here are different styles of ties and how they can reflect on you:
- Cartoon and Novelty Ties. These convey a sense of humour, jokester, someone who doesn’t take himself too seriously. In some situations, a novelty tie is appropriate. In the business world when you are trying to close a deal–not normally a great fit.
- Pink Ties. The pink tie portrays a sense and respect of fashion, confidence, style and the finer things in life. Softer shades of pink would be more appropriate for job interviews rather than a strong, vibrant pink–you don’t want the focus to be on your tie!
- Striped Ties. The classic striped tie portrays style, stability, strength, class. A striped tie would be an appropriate choice for business meetings, job interviews and events that require professionalism.
- Small to Medium Patterned Ties. Smaller patterns that are not overwhelming are a good choice for the business and corporate world. Checks, paisleys, and alternate color thread weaves are stylish and portray creativity, strength and class.
- Large Patterned Ties. Larger patterns can be overbearing, but fun at the same time. If you want to be taken seriously and the focus kept on your solo presentation but not on your tie–larger patterned ties are best kept for social activities. They can portray a sense of style, confidence and flamboyancy.
- Solid Color Ties. Reflects professionalism, traditional and no-nonsense. If you are wearing a patterned shirt, the solid color tie is a must unless you are going for a look that’s a bit helter skelter.